About the Position
Cobalt is looking for a Director of Software Development to supervise the existing team of software engineers and substantially increase the size of the department over the next two years with the company size expected to double during that time. The software development team at Cobalt is in charge of delivering usable bug-free code for our product as well as our customer implementation projects. In addition, the development team needs to assist our customer support efforts by providing software engineering resources for escalated cases that require code review or analysis. The Director of Software Development is responsible for the strategic vision of the development team and is expected to make decisions about the technologies we employ to deliver excellent code in an efficient manner.
Cobalt hires talented, motivated people who like to see the results of their work, develop their own skills, and strive to grow the company. This is a full-time position based at our headquarters in Crystal City (Arlington), Virginia, where employees are expected to work onsite in our office in order to help encourage teamwork and collaboration. Cobalt mandates that all employees are vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus therefore if hired, candidates would be required to provide proof of vaccination.
Your primary responsibilities are broken up into three major areas:
PROCESS MANAGEMENT: The director is responsible for creating and maintaining the necessary processes for the development team to follow.
- Ensure that the development team has the proper tools to write, test and deploy code efficiently;
- define priorities and clearly communicate those priorities to the development team;
- make decisions when priorities conflict;
- foster teamwork between project team members and collaboration with customers;
- resolve escalated customer issues; and
- create reports that management can use to monitor staffing needs and make hiring decisions, align resources with development work and set appropriate expectations with implementation teams.
BUSINESS PLANNING: The director is responsible for defining and executing the vision and mission of the development department.
- Develop and clearly communicate the department vision and mission statement;
- identify clear and achievable department-specific goals/OKRs that will move the department forward;
- push forward the successful completion of those goals/OKRs;
- identify and monitor progress toward department-specific KPIs;
- provide data-driven reports on department progress and make viable recommendations for the improvement of the department;
- come up with creative ways to make development more profitable and successful; and
- create and administer the annual budget for the department.
HUMAN RESOURCES & MENTORING: The director is responsible for hiring team members, defining the department organizational chart and conducting performance reviews.
- Identify and provide training plans and opportunities for staff;
- coach and mentor staff to ensure that best practices are followed, and that quality work is consistently delivered;
- maintain the department organizational chart and position matrix;
- recruit and hire new employees;
- resolve conflicts between team members; and
- collect performance feedback and execute performance reviews.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science;
- Experience with Agile software development;
- Strong relational database experience;
- Strong people management skills, proven success in recruiting, creating and motivating a strong performing engineering team;
- Understanding of modern development methodologies and state of the art design patterns;
- 4+ years of engineering leadership experience – managing multiple teams and/or locations;
- Ability to work independently and supervise a diverse staff;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and strong technical knowledge;
- Ability to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Master’s Degree
- Experience with DevOps software for automation and orchestration
- Experience with CRM software
- Exposure to the association management and/or the certification/credentialing software markets
- Individual training budget
- Paid time for individual training and/or projects throughout the year
- Other professional development opportunities (such as conferences)
- Multiple career growth opportunities
Cobalt’s Work Environment
- Quiet, relaxed & collaborative workspaces
- Comprehensive training and coaching opportunities
- Weekly company-wide lunch-n-learn sessions
- Transparent company-wide communication
Benefits & Compensation
Cobalt offers all employees with medical, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance, a 401K plan with employer matching, paid time off, a training budget, and a relaxed work environment in Crystal City. We host multiple events for our employees each year including fun quarterly events, a holiday party, and a company retreat. In addition, we offer multiple avenues for giving back to the community through a variety of volunteering opportunities.
The Director of Software Development offers a base salary of $180,000 and a target bonus of 20% of base salary for total compensation of $216,000. The ideal start date for this position is January 10, 2022.